Friday, August 5, 2011

He's here!

Bo and I decided to go to his parent's house for a few hours to spend some time with them, especially since his brother Dan and Claire had come into town. We had just eaten a delicious meal and were all hanging out in the pool room. I was relaxing on the recliner when I suddenly got up to go to the bathroom. Thankfully I made it to the toilet when WOOSH, my water broke.   I thought that was the case but called for Bo and then called for Claire who is a nurse.  We pretty much confirmed it and it kept coming. I called the doctor and they encouraged me to get to the hospital. Up to this point Bo and I had been so prepared by having the car seat and our bags but of course this time we had nothing. My sweet in laws went to our house to get everything while Bo and I raced to the hospital with Dan and Claire behind us.
I made all the phone calls to my family as Durham was coming and there was no turning back! After getting checked in to the hospital, we got settled into our room and the contractions started.  The nurses connected me to iv's and monitors and I was encouraged by my sweet nurse to walk the halls. So we got on wireless monitors and did just that! Bo and I walked and walked and walked and walked, along with other accommodating family members.  My contractions started at about 5:30pm and lasted til about 5:30am. I got local pain medication to ease the pain since I was not dilating as quick, they thought this may help me relax and help my body progress.  I got in the bed about 3:30 after about an hour more of walking to relax. Yeah, relax....not so sure about that. The pain medications took the edge off the contractions but they were coming heavy and tight.  About 5:30am I was in intense pain and was entering the transition stage of labor. I was about 5 cm so ready for my epidural.  By 6:30am I had my epidural and was ready. I was very thankful that I labored on my own for 12 hours but also very thankful for an epidural so I could relax.
My wonderful midwife, Anika, came into check on me after the epidural about 11 and I was 10 cm!! Bo had just gotten back from the waiting room eating lunch and boy was I glad! Anika said it's time we are having this baby!! PUSH!!!
I pushed for an hour and 15 minutes. What an experience!! There is no way to describe it but it was intense and so worth it. In the end we got to see and meet out angel!!
My doctor was not on call that day but loves us so much she came and was there for the whole pushing experience! I was so thankful I got to share that with her. She was a huge help. 
He came right out and Bo helped Anika put him on my belly then we started nursing and it was pure love between our new family of 3!!
They weighed him and he was 7 pounds 6 ounces and 21 inches long.  He was bright eyed when he came out for a good hour and was loving all the attention.
We are learning more and more about him every day, minute and second as we learn how to become parents.  It is not easy but so worth it. The sleepless nights and crying fits are all worth our precious angel God has blessed us with.
I'm sorry if this is a little frazzled, it's about time for him to eat again and I will write more soon!
Check out this link to the photos taken at the hospital. I cry every time I look at them!!
Password RC0801fowler

Here are a peak at some pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment